Lead Climbing at Coyote Rock Gym:
The Coyote Rock Gym Lead Course will provide the potential lead climber with the necessary skills to undertake lead climbing in an indoor climbing environment; any climber who wishes to begin lead climbing outdoors should seek professional instruction.
REQUIREMENTS TO LEAD CLIMB AT COYOTE ROCK GYM:
- Pass the Coyote Rock Gym Leading Test or Leading Course
- Use only a Petzl Gri-Gri belay device
- Provide a UIAA/CE certified rope (10.5 or 11mm)
- Demonstrate a climbing ability of 5.9 or above, on both vertical and overhanging climbs
- Minimum of 6 months (one year preferred) climbing experience involving a sound knowledge of belaying and climbing techniques.
Lead Climbing Course – $85.00, sign up at front desk
Ask at the Front Desk or follow Coyote Rock Gym on Facebook for announcements on the latest Lead Climbing Course sign ups. You must have a minimum of 6 months’ climbing experience and climb at 5.9 or above on vertical and overhanging climbs.
For a .pdf of the proper belay sequence when leading with a Petzl Gri-Gri, click here.
Lead Climbing Test – $5.00, during business hours
The lead climbing test is available to any climber with previous lead climbing experience and has preferably passed a lead climbing course at an indoor climbing gym or taken an outdoor leading course (O.R.C.A) with a climbing school. There is no refund if you fail the test, but you may put the money towards the lead course.
To Pass the Lead Climbing test, The potential lead climber must be able to demonstrate the following skills while climbing and belaying:
- Proper tie in at harness
- Proper communication with belayer
- Rope positioning
- Safe falling technique
- Proper use of the Gri-Gri (attachment, feeding, stripping etc.)
- Communication with climber
- Belay efficiency
- Belay positioning and
- The ability to perform a controlled catch.
— If any of the above concepts or terms are unfamiliar to you, take the Lead Climbing course.—