Lead Climbing at Coyote Rock Gym:
The Coyote Rock Gym Lead Course will provide the potential lead climber with the necessary skills to undertake lead climbing in an indoor climbing environment; any climber who wishes to begin lead climbing outdoors should seek professional instruction. Please note, we rent ropes at a charge of $5.00/per session and we only allow use of Gri-Gri’s as gear allows.
REQUIREMENTS TO LEAD CLIMB AT COYOTE ROCK GYM:
- Pass the Coyote Rock Gym Leading Test or Leading Course
- Use only a Petzl Gri-Gri belay device
- Rope must be 9.8 to 11mm with Gri-Gri or 8.5 to 11m with Gri-Gri 2 (UIAA or CE only)
- Demonstrate a climbing ability of 5.10 or above, on both vertical and overhanging climbs
- Minimum of 6 months (one year preferred) climbing experience involving a sound knowledge of belaying and climbing techniques and proof of certification at another climbing gym.
Lead Climbing Course – $100.00 per person
The course will be run from 6-10PM on Mondays taught by Steph and must be booked at least one week in advance. The course is run with one instructor for two students, and the booking requires two people to reserve, so make sure you have a climbing partner before booking. A $100 non-refundable deposit is required when booking which will cover the cost of one of the participants.
To book a lead course you must first show the staff that you’re able to climb 5.10 or above. Once you’ve shown you’re able to climbing at the required grade you will receive an email with a link to book your test.
You must have a minimum of 6 months’ climbing experience and climb at 5.10 or above on vertical and overhanging climbs. Any gear required for lead will be included.
For a .pdf of the proper belay sequence when leading with a Petzl Gri-Gri, click here.
Lead Climbing Test – $10.00, during business hours
The lead climbing test is available to any climber with previous lead climbing experience and has passed a Gri-Gri based lead climbing course at an indoor climbing gym ( we require proof of certification) or taken an outdoor leading course (O.R.C.A) with a climbing school or our lead course with a certified instructor. There is no refund if you fail the test, but you may put the money towards the lead course. We recommend calling or emailing ahead if you’re planning on doing the lead test to ensure there will be a staff member available.
To Pass the Lead Climbing test, The potential lead climber must be able to demonstrate the following skills while climbing and belaying:
- Proper tie in at harness
- Proper communication with belayer
- Rope positioning
- Safe falling technique
- Proper use of the Gri-Gri (attachment, feeding, stripping etc.)
- Communication with climber
- Belay efficiency
- Belay positioning and
- The ability to perform a controlled soft catch.
— If any of the above concepts or terms are unfamiliar to you, take the Lead Climbing course.—